Wednesday 26 December 2012

26-12-12

Well thats that over and done with for another twelve months!!!!!!!!  I was able to get out today due to the lack of alcohol in my blood system for the first time since the weekend.  The floods had again returned to WH with the roads blocked and at one point my known drinking associated was concerned his parents were not going to get an Xmas lunch although my swimming trunks were at the ready and we were prepared for everything however no need to worry because as we sat it the pub on Xmas Eve the water was receding and all was well in the end. 
On to the birding and it was a case of hanging about un til the rains came at lunchtime.  First stop was the quarry pool and surroundings and this turned out very productive.  As I arrived I could here the Wigeon doin what Wigeon do but I was struggling to see the birds on the pool due to the low and very bright sun.  The following counts are what I could make out and then there was proberbly about another 100 different wildfowl.  Birds noted were 102 Wigeon, Woodpigeon (over 1000 birds were present where the Mute Swans have been present plus many more around the site), Starling, Black Headed Gull, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, several Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Blackbird, 3 Lapwing to begin with before a large group turned up of 800 birds plus, 37 Mallard, 2 Pochard, 24 Tufted Duck, 5 Redshank, Magpie, 73 Teal, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 3 Lesser Redpoll in a group of 60+ Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wren, 8 Cormorant, Great Tit, 20 Mute Swan, 200+ Golden Plover with the Lapwings, Pied Wagtail, Linnet, 6 Waxwings that were in the alders - a site tick for me as I missed the last few a couple of years ago to my MS and I was gutted but made up now, and finally a couple of Meadow Pipits present. 
Onto the lanes and I added several Skylark, 30+ Fieldfare, 1 Kestrel, Yellowhammer, 60+ Redwings, 1 Buzzard, Stock Dove, 7 Coot, 1 Little Owl, House Sparrow, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Sparrowhawk, Moorhen, Pheasant, Dunnock and Carrion Crow.          
All in all not a bad few hours down the patch which included a site tick for life, Waxwing, and one for the year, Redpoll.  Bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Good visit Stue, I was beginning to think the seasonal cheer had taken over. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete